West Ham face Liverpool this weekend below are 10 facts about the Hammers’ opponents this weekend:
1. Liverpool were actually formed as a result of a dispute over the rent on Anfield. A disagreement between Everton’s Directors and the club President and owner of Anfield John Holding led to Everton moving to Goodison Park and Holding owning a ground without a club. Holding formed Liverpool in 1892 and the club have played there ever since.
2. The famous terrace the Spion Kop is named after a strategically important hill in South Africa made famous during the Boer War. A Local regiment suffered heavy losses during the battle. The name was coined by local journalist Ernest Edwards.
3. Liverpool have the highest average finishing position in the league for the 50 year period to 2015. The club has accumulated more top-flight wins and points than any English club.
4. Liverpool have beaten West Ham in both the League Cup final (1981) and the FA Cup Final (2006). The clubs have also contested the Charity Shield twice sharing a 2-2 draw in 1964 and a Liverpool 1-0 victory in 1980.
5. West Ham did not win at Anfield between 14th September 1963 and 29th August 2015. In that time England won the World Cup, Liverpool won the European Cup 5 times, the League 13 times the FA Cup 7 times and the League Cup 8 times.
6. Liverpool’s main rivals are neighbours Everton. The clubs contest the longest running top-flight derby in England having being played continuously since the 1962-63 season.
7. The Merseyside derby is often referred to as the friendly derby. During both the 1984 League Cup Final and the 1986 FA Cup final chant of ‘Merseyside, Merseyside’ and ‘are you watching Manchester?’ were heard. After the 1989 Hillsborough disaster in which 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives fans of both teams rallied together, Everton fans supporting Liverpool’s boycott of the Sun and creating a chain of intertwined scarves of both clubs across Stanley Park. More recently after young Evertonian Rhys Jones was a victim of gun crime, Liverpool invited his family to a Champions League game in 2007, the family stood on the pitch in Everton shirts and scarves while the Z cars Theme (traditionally the song that Everton run out to at Goodison) was played. The family received a standing ovation while Anfield sang You’ll Never Walk Alone.
Everton returned the gesture following the vindication of the Hillsborough victims. Before a game against Newcastle in August 2012, Everton had both teams led out by two children, one wearing a Liverpool kit, one with an Everton kit. The match day announcer read out the names of the 96 victims while ‘He aint heavy he’s my brother’ was played to a standing ovation.
8. Liverpool featured in the very first match ever shown on Match of the Day against Arsenal on 22nd August 1964, they also featured in the first ever game televised in colour in March 1967, their opponents? – West Ham!!!
9. Liverpool have won the European Cup/Champions League 5 times, the most of any English club and only bettered by AC Milan and Real Madrid.
10. Liverpool and West Ham have played each other 135 times West Ham winning 28 drawing 37 losing 70. West Ham have lost only one of the last 6 meetings, a 4-0 defeat at the London stadium in May 2017.