West Ham face Manchester City on Sunday here are some facts about our opponents:
1. Manchester City were formed in 1880 as St Marks West Gorton. The club was formed by two church wardens to create a new past time for local men as the area was plagued by gang violence and alcoholism.
2. The Club was known as St Marks West Gorton until 1887 when they became Ardwick Association Football Club before being named Manchester City in 1894.
3. City won their first major honour in 1904 winning the FA Cup after beating Bolton 1-0.
4. One of the most colourful characters in City’s early history is Billy Meredith. The Welshman played for both Manchester clubs in a career that spanned 27 seasons between 1892 and 1924. Meredith holds the distinction of being both Manchester United and Manchester City’s oldest ever player. Meredith played his final game for City in the 1924 FA Cup semi-final aged 49 years 245 days.
5. City made headlines when they signed former German paratrooper and P.o.w Bert Trautmann in 1949. More than 20,000 people attended a demonstration against the signing. Trautmann won over the fans with his sportsman like manner and bravery on the pitch. Most notably playing on after suffering a broken neck in the 1956 FA Cup Final.
6. Former Hammer Malcolm Allison led City to host of honours in the late Sixties including the clubs only European Trophy to date the 1970 Cup Winners Cup.
7. City have won the League 4 times, the FA Cup 5 times and the League Cup 4 times.
8. Sergio Aguero is City’s highest overall scorer with 180 goals to date.
9. City’s record signing Kevin De Bruyne made his City debut in 2015 against West Ham.
10. West Ham have won 1 of the last 6 meetings losing the last two games by an aggregate total of 9-0. The last game ended in a 4-0 defeat for the Hammers at the London Stadium in February.