West Ham face Tottenham in their second game in 48 hours in a very important London Derby for both clubs here are 10 facts about our North London Opponents:
1. Tottenham were founded by members of Hotspur Cricket Club in 1882.
2. Tottenham won the FA Cup for the first time in 1901 while the club were competing in the Southern League making them the only Non-League club to have won the FA Cup since the formation of the League in 1888.
3. Tottenham were the first club to win the League and Cup double in the 20th Century during the 1960-61 season
4. Tottenham were also the first British club to win a UEFA club competition when they won the Cup Winners Cup in 1963, they also became the first British club to win two different major European honours when they won the UEFA Cup in 1972.
5. Tottenham have won a major trophy in 6 out of the last 7 decades a record only bettered by Manchester United, they have 2 years to make it 7 out of 7.
6. Former Hammer Jimmy Greaves is Tottenham’s all-time leading goal scorer with 226, he is also the all-time leading scorer in the top flight of English football with 357.
7. One of the stalwarts of the Double winning team was Scottish international John White. White is widely regarded as one of the most talented players to play for the club. Sadly White was tragically killed when he was struck by lightning while sheltering under a tree during a thunderstorm at Crews Hill Golf Club in 1964. His Son Rob wrote a book in 2011 about his father called the Ghost of White Hart Lane – In search of my Father the football legend. Rob White was 6 months old when his father passed away so has no memory of him at all,
8. White Hart Lane is currently being re-developed the ground hosted 2533 competitive Spurs games in its 118 year History. Like West Ham Spurs ended their stay at their old stadium by beating Manchester United, Spurs beat United 2-1 in May 2017.
9. Tottenham have won the League twice 1950-1951 and 1960-61, the FA Cup 8 times the last time being in 1991 and the League Cup 4 times the last time being in 2008.
10. The clubs have played each other 203 times West Ham winning 73 Spurs winning 81 with 49 draws. The last game between the sides was a 3-2 win for the Hammers in the League Cup in October