Here’s our exclusive interview with Tony Cottee. In this article the former Hammers striker talks all things West Ham.
1. You’ve played for a number of clubs in your time Tony, what do you remember most about your time at West Ham?
The thrill of playing for my club and the affinity we had with the supporters back in the 80`s. I was actually one of them and it was great to then go and represent the club. I had 2 great spells and it`s just a little bit disappointing as I look back that we didn`t win anything, as we had some really good players?
2. Who was your favourite West Ham manger to play under and why?
John Lyall was special as he brought me through the ranks and i had so much respect for him. Harry was also great to work for, although he was a different Manager to John. If I had to choose though,John, just!
3. Who was your favourite player to play alongside at West Ham?
Without question, Alan Devonshire. he was a special player who would be worth £30m now. We had a great understanding where we both played on the left side of the pitch.
4. Was there any team that you didn’t like playing against?
Probably the Liverpool team of the 80`s but only becasue they were so good and I never used to get a kick against them!!
5. Who was the most difficult defender you have ever played against, with yourself being a striker?
Paul Mcgrath wasa really good player, especially with all the injuries he had? Martin Keown. Paul Parker and Des Walker also deserve a mention .
6. There have been a lot of people calling for Big Sam’s head. Do you think Big Sam is the man to lead the club forward?
I think Sam has done a good job. His brief was to get us promoted and stabilise the club, which he has done. Whether he will get the chance to take the Club forward next season remains to be seen?
7. Who is your favourite Hammer and why?
So many to choose from ………….Dev, Pop Robson, Bonzo, Trevor ….. but surely you can only name Bobby Moore? Although I would have seen him play as a young kid, I don`t remember too much but i think you only have to look at the clips and listen to others talk about him to know what he meant to the Club and the Country.
8. Who do you think would be a good striking aquisition for West Ham?
I`d like to see a goalscorer at the club but they are few and far between? Maybe a punt on Charlie Austin or Jordan Rhodes maybe?
9. Are you looking at any coaching jobs in the near future Tony and would you like to manage one of your old clubs?
I would love to Manage either of my 3 main clubs but lets be realistic here, it`s not going to happen at the moment?
10. Finally the bottom of the league is getting much tighter, what do you think West Ham have over the other batling clubs to survive?
More points!! seriously though, I think they just have a little bit more quality overall in the squad to stay up, even though our forwards aren`t really scoring goals?