Moore Than Just A Club

Matchday Twenty-Five’s Premier League Review: Hammers Claim Crucial Point as City Extend Lead at the Top

After an enthralling two nights of the Premier League, Matchday Twenty-Five to be more precise, it’s now time to take you back through all the spills and thrills that were in store as David Moyes’ West Ham United claimed a comeback point against Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace and it was business as usual for Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City.

The midweek English Top-Flight action began at the Liberty Stadium two days ago with Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal travelling to face off with Swansea City, where there would be a shock in store.

A Nacho Monreal strike had given the visitors the lead, though a Sam Clucas double and Jordan Ayew notch gave Carlos Carvalhal’s men an unlikely comeback win to move out of the bottom three.

Also at that time in East London, a local derby was being played out with the Hammers playing host to the Eagles, who took the lead through Christian Benteke on 24 minutes.

But, the hosts were able to salvage a point at the London Stadium thanks to a penalty from Captain Mark Noble his 50th for the club, that latter kick-off that evening saw Huddersfield Town host Liverpool.

David Wagner’s Terriers were looking for a repeat of their shock win over Manchester United earlier in the season, though Jurgen Klopp’s men were having none of that and triumphed 0-3 through goals from Emre Can, Roberto Firmino and Mo Salah.

However, that didn’t mean there wouldn’t be an upset on Wednesday and it came at Stamford Bridge, Eddie Howe’s AFC Bournemouth shocking Antonio Conte’s Chelsea with a three-goal victory.

The returning Junior Stanislas struck the deadly blows, the openers with a double before Nathan Ake could add to that, meanwhile, a battle of two teams in the top half was taking place at Goodison Park.

Sam Allardyce’s Everton welcomed Claude Puel’s Leicester City and the Toffees for the three points that they needed with help to a double from new man Theo Walcott, Jamie Vardy netted a penalty consolation for the Foxes.

Things wouldn’t quite be so entertaining at St James’ Park and the St Mary’s Stadium where Newcastle United hosted Burnley and Southampton took on Brighton & Hove Albion respectively.

In the North East, Rafa Benítez’s men seized the advantage through Skipper Jamaal Lascelles only for Sean Dyche’s side to steal a late point courtesy of a Karl Darlow own-goal.

The story would be very much the same on the South Coast, the affair ending 1-1, Chris Hughton’s men did take the lead with a Glenn Murray penalty, although Mauricio Pellegrino’s Saints were able to level, Jack Stephens getting the equaliser.

The League leaders were in action next, welcoming Alan Pardew’s West Bromwich Albion to the Etihad Stadium, where there were no shocks, Fernandinho, Kevin De Bruyne and Sergio Aguero making sure of that, they now lead the rest by 15 points.

In what was surely the pick of the Game Week at Wembley Stadium, Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham Hotspur went toe-to-toe with the might of Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United.

Incredibly, Spurs led within 11 seconds of the match getting underway, Christian Eriksen getting it, before a Phil Jones own-goal made sure of defeat for the Red Devils.

Last but not least was the only goalless draw of the two days, with Paul Lambert’s Stoke City managing to hold off Javi Gracia’s Watford, as the League Two newest Managers went head-to-head.

So, now that all of the pulsating Football from a memorable midweek Match Week of the League that we all know, and love has been well sand truly reviewed, there is little rest bite between now and the next Matchday, with the Premier League swiftly returning on Saturday lunchtime at Turf Moor for Matchday Twenty-Six.